President's Review Board (PRB)
The President's Review Board (PRB) is the faculty advisory body to the President and Provost on matters of appointments, promotion, and tenure at UB. The Board is comprised of a Chair, who must be a senior Professor or Librarian (non-voting), nine tenured faculty, holding the rank of Professor or Librarian (voting), and two student representatives (non-voting).
The 2013-2014 membership:
Chair: LeAdelle Phelps, Counseling, School & Educational Psychology
Sean Bennett, Geography
Carol S. Brewer, School of Nursing
James Fallavollita, Medicine
Daniel Kosman, Biochemistry
Annette LeCuyer, Architecture
Hui Meng, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Athena Mutua, School of Law
Richard J. Salvi, Ctr. for Hearing & Deafness
Liana Vardi, History
Note: This list is provided for information purposes only. All inquiries concerning the promotion/tenure process should be directed to the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs. Any contact with the Chair or individual members of the PRB about pending or upcoming cases could jeopardize the review process.
Board members are appointed for staggered three-year terms, beginning on September 1 and ending on August 31.
Following are some points to remember when assembling the dossier:
- insert colored divider sheets between each section of the original dossier
- an original + 5 hard copies of the dossier plus a single digital copy in PDF format on disk/flash drive are required. You may also send the electronic version via email to Pat Carey at email@example.com. You will recieve a confirmation via email in return. Confirmations are not sent if the dossier comes on disk or flash drive along with the hard copies. Remember the dossier must come as a single PDF document.
- do not staple or paperclip any sections of the dossier or have it bound in any way--use binder clips or sturdy/durable rubber bands to secure all copies
- do not place any documents (Dean's letter, Chair's letter, etc.) in the non-confidential section of the dossier that contain names of external reviewers who have not given permission for the candidate to see their letters. If you choose to cite these reviewers or their comments, you must place a redacted copy of your letter with all identities deleted in the non-confidential section, since this is available for the candidate to review.
- do include an ePTF Summary of the appointment/promotion/tenure in the ORIGINAL dossier (do NOT place in dossier copies)
- do not include full cv's for the external reviewers--a short bio is sufficient. Excessively large CV make dossier handling and mailing prohibitive.
- do not include copies of articles/publications within the dossier--only one copy is required as supplemental information. While the checklist includes publications as an aspect of the teaching portfolio, it lists those publications as Appendices (supplementary materials). Excessively large teaching portfolio sections make dossier handling and mailing prohibitive. This includes Powerpoint presentations, web site materials, and other self-published course supplements. Dossiers containing inordinate amounts of publication materials in each copy may be returned for reconfiguration.
- all supplemental materials accompanying the dossier should (in total) be able to fit in the size of a manila folder box (2-1/4"h x 9-1/2"w x 12")
More detailed criteria for dossier
preparation is available in the Faculty/Staff Handbook, Section III.A.
Processing the ePTFFinal ePTF's should not be **submitted** until you receive the President's letter of approval for the appointment (sent to the candidate, copied to the Dean and copied to each decanal unit's assigned PRB associate), at which time they must be forwarded to Heather Kobrin for processing and signatures at the Provost's and President's level. A copy of the President's letter must be attached with your ePTF request-for-approval submission.
Any questions regarding the PRB or
the preparation of dossiers can be addressed to Patricia Carey,
Assistant Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs 645-2995 or firstname.lastname@example.org